At The Portico we are passionate about literature, sharing ideas and growing a love of reading and writing from a young age. We are excited to be hosting 17 free online events for young people to showcase the pathways into publishing to get you excited about a potential career in publishing, writing and illustration.
Those who think a career in books might not be for them may discover they are surprised as publishers disclose the range of roles on offer, booksellers highlight the extent of their activities, writers share how they make a living by creating stories, a world-touring comedy duo showcase the secret of 35 years of continued collaboration and an illustrator reveals how they went from scribbling on bedroom walls to illustrating award winning books. As if that isn’t enough, there are also workshops to help you find your voice and navigate your way.
- Start the day with Chellie Caroll’s How To Be A Book Illustrator
- Next meen Poet Jack Nicholls on what it’s like to be a writer
- Then Theatre company LipService will be making us laugh with a discussion of the female voice in comedy
- Meet writer Catherine Johnson as she discusses her award winning books and writing historical fiction for young people
- Three friends and writers Pete Kalu, Melvin Burgess and Tariq Mehmood chat about writing dystopian fiction set in the same world up next
- Hallie Fletcher discusses the power of mentorship after entering The Portico Prize ten years ago!
- Writer Pete Kalu gives an exciting 30 minute workshop on how to write place poetry next
- To close the celebration, there will be a Portico Sadie Massey Awards event, including an introduction to the Awards from Portico Library Chair, Lynne Allan. Writing judges Anna Mainwaring and Okechukwu Nzelu and Reading judges Ayesha Ansari-Choudhury and Mo Ray offer their congratulations and speak about the judging process.
Please note that there is also an exciting place writing poetry competition running until midnight on 4th June 2021! Find out more information here.