At The Portico Library we are passionate about literature, sharing ideas and growing a love of reading and writing from a young age. We are excited to be hosting 17 free online events for young people to showcase the pathways into publishing to get you excited about a potential career in publishing, writing and illustration.
Those who think a career in books might not be for them may discover they are surprised as publishers disclose the range of roles on offer, booksellers highlight the extent of their activities, writers share how they make a living by creating stories, a world-touring comedy duo showcase the secret of 35 years of continued collaboration and an illustrator reveals how they went from scribbling on bedroom walls to illustrating award winning books. As if that isn’t enough, there are also workshops to help you find your voice and navigate your way.
On Day 1 of this two-day event there’s lots on offer:
- 10.10am – Join Blackwell’s Bookshop Manchester and MirrorMeWrite as they discuss why they became booksellers and what their roles involve
- Meet Wrecking Ball Press next for an introduction into publishing cutting edge literature
- Next is the announcement of the Portico Library Young People’s Book Award with Chellie Carol
- Meet Manchester fave not-for-profit publisher Comma Press
- 11.30am Meet Children’s Books North for an hour discussion on the world of publishing children’s books
- Meet the Society of Young Publishers next as they explain the many roles involved in the publishing industry
- Debbie Williams leads an hour long workshop on how to work out which career in publishing is for you
- Meet the Northern Fiction Alliance next in the day as a radical publishing collective as they redefine the literary landscape
- Finish up the day with the downloadable toolkit from Hachette UK about how to have a rewarding career in publishing, whatever your background.