The National Centre for Writing, based in Norwich UNESCO City of Literature, is offering three virtual residencies for writers or literary translators from other UNESCO cities of literature in February 2021. During the month-long residency, the virtual writers and translators in residence will be asked to explore connections between Norwich and their own UNESCO city of literature, and to work on a range of commissions. They will receive a fee of £1,500.
We strongly encourage writers and translators from Manchester to apply!
The commissions may include:
- Writing (in your own language) or translating (into English) one short story, essay or series of poems (up to 2000 words) that can be shared on the NCW website;
- Taking part in an online Meet the World event with the other writers in residence;
- Recording one podcast with a writer from Norwich UNESCO City of Literature as part of the NCW Writing Life series of podcasts;
- Contributing your top five writing tips to the writing tips section of the NCW blog;
- Running a workshop with Lit from the Inside, our youth group exploring the literary arts scene in Norwich and elsewhere;
- Writing a walk for the Walking Norwich section of the NCW website, which explores the real and imagined city;
- Providing a reading list of recommended books from your UNESCO City of Literature (available in English or in English translation in the UK) for the NCW website, some of which may be promoted as a package by the Book Hive in Norwich.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send an application which should include the following information:
- Why you are interested in Norwich and this virtual residency opportunity;
- What you will bring to it and what you hope to get out of it;
- Your project for exploring connections between Norwich and your UNESCO City of Literature;
- Your connections with a UNESCO City of Literature;
- Your CV, including publication record.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Monday 16th November 2020.